Thursday, September 16, 2010

CHAPTER 2: THE YEAR OF THE RABBIT



Dreams work in a very odd way; I slept amazingly well; my lady knocked me out, it was the first time I´d sex in weeks. On that part I tried to stay focused and less impulsive. Other than that, no crazy visions. I felt better in the next days; was working like crazy against the clock; tired, but satisfied.

I also made contact with the outside world. I received a call from Feivel.

HEY KID! WERE YOU DEAD OR SOMETHING? SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN, I SAW THE SAMPLES YOU SENT ME.

I sat on the floor with an actual white rabbit in my hands as I listened to him on a speaker phone. I called the critter Scraps; he was as equally as handsome as I was, but this one had a fine black patch around the brown eyes, like eyeliner.

“As you can see I´m obsessed now,” I answered with a really heavy voice.

A MOMENT OF MADNESS, I SUPPOSE.

“More like a whole month,” I replied.

GREAT, GREAT, LISTEN. THE SHOW´S IN THREE WEEKS; SO FAR IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE, DON´T LET ME DOWN...

“Since when have I let you down, man? It’s like you didn’t know me or something…”

AND JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU WELL THEN YOU COME WITH SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND YOU PUT A HUGE SMILE ON THIS OLD FACE, YOU HANDSOME DEVIL YOU…

He wants me, I know, really bad. I answered politely, “You can’t have me Maus; you can have the art, but I gave my soul to someone else a long time ago…”

STOP JERKING AROUND, I FREAKING OWN YOU!

I couldn’t stop laughing out loud cynically, “Sure, I know that, I’m just testing you.”

LOOK, STAY IN TOUCH, I SENT YOU SOME STUFF I REALLY WANT YOU TO LOOK AT…

I hated interacting with the internet because once you’re there your hands cling to the keyboard and your brain is being milked to very last drop. What you don’t know is that only a certain amount of your brain is being consumed every day. Nevertheless, I had to give signs of life; otherwise they would literally hang me on any random wall.

A friend of mine, Mark took care of my personal site. It’s hard to describe the images and the design. I was always such a huge fan of Joan Miro´s work; painting with the innocence of a child and at the same time deeply surreal and rebellious. I insisted that it was sort of interactive, instead of just watching. If I did put in words it would be like, “you clicked it, you bought it, you´ve been warned."

Of course, the expression above didn’t mean that you were buying something physical, it was more like engaging in the act of buying an idea, so that made people responsible for whatever they saw after that click. Like for example, they would choose a very nice thumbnail image thought to be harmless when in really wasn’t. We fooled them. It reminded of the unfortunate moments where you rented a VHS and you expected to see the movie in the cover and as soon as you went home you found out it was smut...Not that what I painted was necessarily obscene.

Because I had some random, cutesy comments from my paintings over the past few years I decided to turn things around to open up some minds. I like to be unpredictable, that helps you stay in the spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment