Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The mole in the hole...Edith read tons of bizarre books; she devoured them as soon as they were in her posession, which was fine by me. But on this ocassion she drew me to watch some very insightful movies like El Topo with the excuse that it would feed my brain. I wasn't really fond of that activity, but you can't help it if you live in such a cosmopolitan environment.

Ever since I was young I got hooked on Watership Down thinking animals had more to show that meets the eye, besides I couldn't sleep thinking the Black Rabbit of Inle would come out and get me. And I was Fiver, the little psychic rabbit. It's funny how some things stick you for so long but you can't quite find a name until the time is right.

To be gifted doesn't mean you're greater than anybody else; however you become wiser and your senses sharpen. My buddy here Scraps he can smell the rain for miles away, and I could detect danger.

You see now that I pasted these images in my head I understood well that the whole monster dream was referring to the fact that I attracted many sorts of characters; the greedy and the needy. And Janie was a voice that I needed to hear when I thought I was becoming too selfish. Thus, a transformation would begin. I took the time analyze a ´horroscope´ this morning and it brought me up the Card of The Day which stood for The Magician. It made sense because I already managed to symbolically pull a rabbit out of the hat. The question was what´s next?

Whenever I stopped by at Balthazar I felt like a fish in water since everyone around wore so much black, but that's a rather uncomfortable for others. And here we were plotting how to conquer the universe once again after drowning in some fine Château Bernadotte, I couldn´t escape the trace of Merlot. I was in the company of Feivel, who was charming as usual, always getting to the point.

"I have a feeling this is not our usual conversation, my dear Maus," I said as I gently swung my glass.

"You´re intuition is on fire today, sweet thing. I got a proposition for you, and this one´s really good."

"Damn, you sound like a goddamn gangster, my good man," I talked back laughing.

"Listen, I already got a place up in Chelsea with your name on it, because that´s where you´re heading."

It seems that my work suddenly became so luscious I was solicited "upstairs". Soho lost its artistic strength a long time ago I felt like I was some kind of endangered species.

"So what was all that shit about last night?" I kept asking somewhat puzzled.

"Exactly. That was to be like a beautiful farewell. I hate to say that it was kinda planned, but we gotta find a way to revamp your image." He stretched his arms wide open, "think ´bout this; bad boy from Soho turned genius. I can see diversity, I´m talking major invasion in areas we never dealt before."

What he meant to say was that we were about to produce massive art. Nowadays it´s very difficult that just one person handles a multidisciplinary exhibition like sculptures, extra large canvases. I needed to assemble a larger and more reliable than the one I had already. And Feivel of course already reeled in the big fish to invest.

One time after having being exposed to some of Jeff Koons exhibitions it occurred to me that the mirror effect could be applied to almost anything. About two years ago I did a solo exhibition called Black Cherry, in honor of one of my dearest paintings, which later became controversial for its subliminal sexual nature, it´s art; you can get away with it. There were several pieces I did in oil and pastel named Us which featured a full body mirror as a theme and background. It was dripping blood and had several couples in it. Some where kind of known, some where anonymous.

As I contemplated my agent and I in the mirror in the bar surrounded by a faux parisian scene I couldn´t help remembering those paintings; I was caught between them and a scene from The Shining where Jack talks to Lloyd:


Drink up, Mr. Torrance. 
I'm the kind of man who likes to know who's buyin' their drinks, Lloyd. 
It's not a matter that concerns you, Mr. Torrance. At least not at this point. 
Anything you say, Lloyd. Anything you say.

I was just waiting for the walls to bleed; let the bleeding begin!




No comments:

Post a Comment