Wednesday, February 9, 2011

UNBIRTHDAY (continued).

Elementary school, must have been around six. The first leaves began to fall.I carried a red hardback book that I brought from home. I was desperate and lonely that I needed a place to read quietly.

I went into the library and it looked incredibly pleasant, fancy and spacious, not quite a place for children my age. The few people I saw sat in round tables covered with exquisite cloths and drank tea.

As I approached them I could notice that they were incredibly busy and focused. I asked politely,  "Can I sit here?"

"I´m sorry, but we´re studying for a test."

I found a corner to sit it, not the most comfortable of all. I opened up the book and marked it on the page with the John Tenniel illustration where the White Rabbit is seen from the back running away from an enlarged Alice...



The text below said,

"I´ve changed in the night? Let me think, was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I´m not the same, the next question is, who in the world am I? Ah, that´s the great puzzle!"

The illustration of The White Rabbit came to life and literally leaped out of the pages!

I decided to follow him, but, but...not again...

The party had just begun...

"Ah, there you are! You´re so late, Adrian, " said a pretty girl who went by the name Edith. I turned around and said, "I´m awfully sorry, what did you say?"

"I said you´re late!"

"No, the other thing, you called me Adrian."

The girl laughed looking a bit concerned, "well, that´s your name, isn´t it? "

"Right..." I gave a long pause and smiled excited. "I see. Well, I better not keep my public waiting..."


No comments:

Post a Comment