Friday, October 29, 2010

CLUTCH

This certainly seemed the perfect occasion to celebrate my newfound victory. Ever since I felt the need to work intensively I've lost the meaning of the word holiday and now it was starting to make sense. While the rest of the world feasted counting down the 25 days of Christmas and clutching every last shiny piece of merchandise like ravens down in SoHo we caught up with Fly to visit his domains in Brooklyn. He had an odd fascination for drawing and crafting insects, thus the name Fly. He actually made fun of my rabbits but I guess it could count as a very subtle icebreaker.

"Street art is cool," he said in a very light way. "But how did you manage to do it in that fancy neighborhood?"

"That was a shit load of time ago, my friend. The difference is I used to do it outside the galleries now I do it inside and much much better, do you know what I mean."

"Nah, he just likes the high profile crowds, but deep down inside walked down these hoods, see," said Mark kinda like backing me up.

Fly also liked to collect skulls. He showed me a huge one made out of what is called barro negro, which is a sort of black clay with a very handsome shiny finish. His family came all the way from Mexico and that technique was very popular, among other things.

"Are you afraid to die?" said Fly holding a knife made out of that same black material.

What a question. But yes, who wouldn´t be, especially in these crazy times that we live in?

"Back where my daddy came from the Day Of The Dead is quite something," he continued.

"Oh yeah, I´ve seen that before," said Mark.

"You can mock death, but you still pay a great deal of respect to it, it´s like another member of the family. Be careful and you remember the next time you think you´re gonna fall into its clutches."

Nice advice, but I´m not currently planning on visiting that relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment