Friday, October 8, 2010

RISE...


RISE AND SHINE SLEEPYHEAD BECAUSE THIS IS THE DAY YOUR DREAMS COME TO LIFE.

Did I hear that while I was asleep; I can´t remember. No wait; it was Edith shaking me all over the place.

"Friday came too soon, didn´t it?” I said as I stared at the mirror. "I have to ride all the way to M. for some last minute touch ups."

THAT´S FINE, WHEN WILL YOU BE FREE?

"That´s...a very good question...," I slurred. Probably by four o´clock. I called my old man yesterday; he should be able to get here soon. What time is it?

SEVEN.

"Right. He said somewhere around 10. Mark said he drop by here as well. I feel so strange making everyone be here so early..."

WELL, IT´S A SPECIAL OCCASION. I´LL TRY NOT TO ENTERTAIN MYSELF TOO MUCH TO SEE WHAT I CAN DO.

"Being there for me is more than enough," I said as I held Edith by her waist. She made as though she wanted to help out more than she was supposed to; she sighed as well. I whispered in her ear, "You want to know a secret? I couldn´t have done all this without you..."

She was stunned for a while. "Well, thank you very much; what do you call that kind of help, a muse?"

"Well, you see, for you that´s not enough, I was going to say goddess..."

DON´T MAKE FUN OF ME, BESIDES DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT THAT DREAM ABOUT THE THREAD?

"Nah, I´ll have to figure it out later..."

What was to be one of the longest days I´ve ever had started off in Chelsea over by 24th St. I could see many relatively young galleries; one that caught my attention in particular was the Gagosian. Many big names have paraded there, including Jeff Koons and unmistakable Damien Hirst. Remember how I mentioned Picasso was the gauge for modern art? Well, these guys, like Murakami are stretching art to become a major industry and they are recalibrating that gauge. But then again, back to reality.

I really wanted to surround this show in a lot of mystery so special attention was given to the lighting. I picked up the idea from a nightclub where I used to go. We started with some tracklights hanging from the ceiling then something dim, very dim and there was also light coming from within the paintings.I think it's known as contour lighting thanks to some very clever, not to mention quick ideas.

The gallery owner, Mr. Simon Blackwell came from the generation of Mary Boone and he had somewhere around three years already with the place, but had managed to reel in some very important young artists. So his scene was more juvenile. The building was cleverly concealed with the architecture of Chelsea, yet it was incredibly spacious. High ceilings attract me.

The order in which the works would be set would be as in the form of a journal; each painting was a representation of a vision, so it was indeed chronological.

An example of the ones I did between October and November.

Rabbit Monster
The Pool Of Fears
Easy On The Eyeliner
Ritual
The Rabbit Of The Infinite Strength
1:11 AM
Handle With Care
I Attract Vermin
The Tarot Man
1:11 PM
11
Nightmares Have Many Names
The Seer
The White Rabbit of Inle
The Bleeder
Pneumatic For The People
Drive Me
The Thousand
3:15 AM
Art As A Weapon

I also included a set of sketches of some of the monumental paintings, in the case of Rabbit Monster. Because I know results may vary when it´s finished.

There were some other exhibitions taking place since October, a collective one that included some very wicked low brow art. I was tempted to adopt that style years ago, but I liked old school tendencies; nothing more splendorous than Expressionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment