Thursday, October 7, 2010

MEETING PEOPLE IS EASY



These last weeks have served me well to meet all kinds of interesting and likable vermin. A few I had already seen, others not quite. But those who most intrigued me were those who roamed in my head between dreams; each one more mysterious and more twisted than the last.

Based on the advice of my new friend Amir they may have been exactly the same people with whom I have lately been interacting for my exhibition. What happens is that they may have hidden qualities that will be of great interest to me, as if I could see beyond the obvious and seeing that in this New York life it´s truly hard.

Chelsea seemed wider and louder than SoHo; but it also looks as if most of the Hollywood elite decided to concentrate between these two districts. One of the delightful things I found out about Chelsea is that it had acquired the bad reputation of being a favorite spot for gay people. I´m an open person, but not that open, besides I already kissed my own self in a dream and that´s as far as I´m getting.

24 and 25th St had already a swarm of small galleries, especially for newcomers. They found a nice place for me right between these streets, yet I had a certain aversion for the new buildings. Sure it´s spacious, it fits your artistic needs among other things, but it´s not full of history. Call it a perk but I must still create in very specific conditions; guess I haven´t changed much since I begged my mother to get me black notebooks. That reminded me that I had to inform her and Dad about my new ´lair´.

Old Adam was the only one bold enough to travel, so I arranged for him to come here by the first days of December. Then we would meet back in Elyria for the holidays.

I spoke to him one afternoon while I was in the comfort of my living room. Scraps was hopping all over the place; luckily he was already well trained not to wander too far. And how did I do that? Don´t ask me; it´s one of my many talents. Now I can see it: the Rabbit Charmer.

“So, you finally decided to leave that neighborhood after seven years?” asked my dad with a rather coarse tone.

“It´s not like I decided, I had to. It´s much more rentable in Chelsea. Sure, it´s not on the other side of the world but it will take some getting used to. Beautiful view, by the way. The hardest part isn´t producing the art; it´s hanging it. How´s life treating you, you old dog?”

No comments:

Post a Comment