Thursday, December 9, 2010

RABBITS WOULD NEVER HURT YOU


I found Caroline again, but she woke at about 4 AM and I wasn´t exactly in the mood to greet her because I had to get up early for my trip to Ohio. I followed her lurking through the hallway next to my room, but instead of coming down the stairs it felt more like falling down a rabbit hole.


"So how was it?" she asked in a openly naïve way. She was dragging a patchwork rabbit with enormous ears that for a second there looked very much like a deformed version of my very own Scraps.

"I´m sorry?" I asked.

"You were really great back there, you truly proved yourself tonight. But this is only the beginning."

"Listen, you are a little girl and sometimes grownups do things we can´t discuss with you, so maybe you´ll understand when you´re older."

"Adrian, I´M A GHOST! I cannot age, you see, therefore it really doesn´t matter when I see this. That lady singer is as powerful as you are. Both of you will make great things together next year, but..."

"Don´t try that on me cuz you know that I´ll ask you..."

"Then you know already what I´m going to say, is that right?" she said, confident.

"Probably, but I´m making my own luck instead of listening to charlatans. And trust me I still believe in all of that but I´m not afraid anymore."

"Oh, so you dare challenge the unknown, do you?"

"YES, I DO, IT CAN´T HURT ME. Whatever it is that you passed to me, this..."

"The rabbit? Do you think a furry, helpless, cute and soft little bunny can´t harm you? Ha, ha, ha !" Her laughter, started to give the chills, "...how wrong you are..."

"Owww!"

"Sweetie, what´s the matter, another bad dream?" said Edith desperately. I was back in my bed, but a stabbing pain woke me up, I think it was my stomach, how come?

"Damn, I fell like I´ve been pinched with a needle like a goddamn voodoo doll..." I said to her.

"Then your nerves are acting up, I thought you´d be...relaxed by now," she said as she kissed me gently. "Everything´s alright..." If so, then how come the pain won´t go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment