Thursday, November 25, 2010

C.K.

It was way past midnight inside my studio. I had never seen Edith so relaxed, however I kept waking up for no reason and knew it was gonna be awfully hard to go back to sleep. Damn , this place was like being inside an iceberg, I could even see my own breath. Ah, screw it, I had to go down to get my pills.

HELLO, HELLO, ARE YOU THERE?

That voice didn´t come from Edith, for sure...it sounded more like the one of a child. I continued to walk across the room and I could hear the floor crack just enough to get the chills. It was amazingly dark as going through a tunnel and lost the notion on which end of the room was which. So I continued to find the source of that voice...

HELLO, ADRIAN, THERE YOU ARE!

A young blonde girl, like about ten years old approached me. I could only see her face illuminated like a firefly. She had a very old dress on, short sleeve and blue, but very washed down.

"How did you get in here?" I asked as I walked around her.

I´VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE. IN FACT, I TRIED TO CONTACT YOU A FEW MONTHS AGO.

"What do you mean trying to contact me?"

I´M CAROLINE KING...C.K., REMEMBER?

The vision I told Edith the other night? No way, no way...

She ran towards me and embraced me as she broke in tears. "I´m so sorry...I...I didn´t mean to cause you any trouble."

"It´s OK, it´s OK, but, what are you talking about?"

"I feel awful for making you sick, you could have died that day..."

"Whoa, wait , are you saying the the time when I got pneumonia, why do you say it´s your fault?"

BECAUSE, CAN´T YOU TELL IT´S VERY, VERY COLD IN HERE WHEN I´M AROUND?

"That was you? Uh, so, you´re like a ghost, spirit, specter or ..."

I DON´T KNOW. I DON´T REMEMBER HOW DID I GET HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. But you seem like a very, very nice person and they told me you could help me.

This wasn´t your usual conversation as you could tell. So I sat down and threw my hands over my face trying to figure out what this kid was trying to say. "WHO said I could help you?"

Caroline pointed out to the sky. "Listen, I know you love this place so much as I do and I know that you´re leaving soon, but...you can´t leave until you help me."

Oh, great, a divine duty. "It´s not so hard, really. You have to tell me how I died. This wasn´t always a house, I can feel it used to be something else, like..."

I completed her sentence, "a factory?"

YES, YES!...

I hushed, "you´ll wake her up."

SHE CAN´T HEAR US WHILE YOU´RE INSIDE HERE...

"Alright. Edith said this used to be a small factory, I recall. What else do you want me to find out?"

OH, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE VERY MODERN MACHINES NOW...

"And that´s it?..."

YES, BUT ARE YOU FEELING BETTER NOW, YOU´RE NOT SICK ANYMORE?

"No, I´m A OK, kid. By any chance, do you know what the 11 means?"

Caroline looked up so I joined her. She asked me to follow her. "It´s the hour that´s marked on that clock in the wall." I didn´t recall having putting that in my studio, in fact I hardly had one in here, but let´s remember I stepped into another dimension.

"11:11 AM, that´s last thing I saw the day I died. It´s up to you to find out what happened next...."

SWEETIE?

"What..." I mumbled.

WERE YOU TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP?

"Edith? Um, yes. I think I had a nightmare..."

WELL, RELAX. YOU´LL TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT IN THE MORNING...

She had her arms around me like a big teddy bear. Somehow I made it back to the studio but my mind was awfully confused...where did I go and how did I get there?





No comments:

Post a Comment