Monday, November 22, 2010

RABBIT IN THE HOUSE

As a mere curiosity I stumbled upon this 50s movie while I was downtown called Harvey with James Stewart. It made me think of a few memorable quotes:

"I took a course in art last winter. I learnt the difference between a fine oil painting, and a mechanical thing, like a photograph. The photograph shows only the reality. The painting shows not only the reality, but the dream behind it. It's our dreams, doctor, that carry us on. They separate us from the beasts. I wouldn't want to go on living if I thought it was all just eating, and sleeping, and taking my clothes off..."


Something like that. So I napped on my favorite spot in the living room; it must have been around 5 o´clock and as soon as I woke up I recall having seen in my dream a similar movie about a guy in a pretty cheap rabbit suit and started chasing everyone around the house, even his eyes looked fiery red. But the weird thing was that I saw my own mother by my side. She looked like she was slightly sick, with a cold. She remembered having seen this before and exclaimed,


"Oh, that´s what I used to watch when I was recovering."


And then I keep hearing voices that say "hello" to me, only this time it said it twice. "Hello, hello". Somehow I felt an incredible urge to consult Ava but I heard she was away to visit her family for the rest of the year. So was I. Next week I´d have to leave for Elyria and at the same time leave some works in progress; I never rest, that´s why I miss sleeping for more hours. I snuggled back in the couch and felt that Edith threw a blanket over me.


"There you are! Are you cold?" she asked timidly.


"I might be, I´m feeling slightly chilly..."


"You´re not getting sick again, are you?"


"Nah, but haven´t you noticed a strange breeze lately?"


"Not that I´m aware of. Perhaps it would help if you moved around to mitigate the cold?"


"Nah..." I said again.


"Did you like going back to your own school?" she asked about our outing in the afternoon.


"Oh yeah, it was incredible that they rescued this collection of old Matisse drawings. It gave me a lot to think about."


"Mmm, yeah, but do you think that place has changed a lot since you graduated?"


"Sure, sure...everyone loved me, I suppose..." I don´t remember what happened next, I was out cold, or yes I heard one last thing,


"I love you...don´t work too hard." she said.


"OK, I love you too..." By the way, you´re always supposed to say that; if you say thank you girls will get mad at you. It happened to LOTS of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment