Saturday, November 13, 2010

THE TWO FACES OF EDITH

I knew she would be slightly upset for this one; you know how awfully moody girlfriends become as soon as you start changing the slightest of things about your appearance? Yeah, she's one of them but I made her watch me that afternoon lose the virginity of my skin as I planned my next twisted mood; to inmortalize my archetype as a tattoo and what better than to let Fly be the author of this heinous crime.

I took Edith down to Brooklyn; I actually have some fond memories from that neighborhood because how could I forget the famous vandalization of 87th St; a project very similar to the ones I used to do back in Elyria when I was a tween. I thought it would be the same but apparently my work was heavily mocked by some other street artist dubbed Diego and painted over it. It was supposed to be a composition made out of wheat paste, a technique becoming very popular at the time which included a series of tall oval- shaped mirrors with reflections of people I gathered as models.

It was meant to be something memorable, you know to spruce up the place but then that anonymous dude spray painted the cutouts in red. Then again, call it accidental collaboration because he inspired me to make some actual paintings that won the critics' respect. I attract some very stupid vermin sometimes.

By the time we arrived around 4 PM, Fly greeted us with the warmth of an old bartender, like "Hey, welcome back kid! I knew you'd come around sooner or later and get freaking inked!" He continued as he greeted my lover, "and you brought a friend!"

"Girl-friend. She's Edith, the one I told you to stay away from? She's mean..."

OH, C'MON! HE'S JUST SAYING THAT TO SCARE YOU.

The place was always packed. On this occasion they were doing a backpiece of a classic chinese dragon on this big, bulky guy. He looked like he had a huge passion for oriental figurines, so did I but this time it would be something different.

(continued)...

No comments:

Post a Comment